NCVO, in their governance round up article, describes the purpose of the new Act to reduce bureaucracy and make it easier for charities to operate. It does this by allowing for:
- More straightforward amendment of governing documents where the Charity Commission needs to approve the change – the same test will now apply to all charities, rather than different tests for different forms
- Reduced rules around disposal of property, ex gratia payments, and charity mergers
- Flexibility in the way that charities can use permanently endowed funds.
The government’s implementation plan provides details of what comes into force in Autumn 2022, Spring 2023, and Autumn 2023.
Some of the first provisions that come in force include:
- Section 30: Remuneration of charity trustees etc. providing goods or services to charity
- Section 32: Trustee of charitable trust: status as trust corporation
If you are a Leicestershire county based organisation and would like to discuss any topics relating to governance of your organisation, you can contact VAL using the helpline email firstname.lastname@example.org . Or phone number 0116 257 5050.
Your request for support will then be allocated to a member of the sector support team.