I have done PhD from University of Delhi, India. My research was to study the Resettlement process of Tibetan refugees in India. It was also an attempt to understand the role of faith/religion, faith based identity and aspirations and expectation of a minority group in new socio-economic-political and legal framework. Also, I tried to explore the challenges faced by different community groups in India for social integration and community cohesion.
I came to UK in 2006 and since then trying to understand the process of my own resettlement. It has been very good experience for me and enabled me to understand the aspirations and expectation of people like me who have come to UK from different socio-economic background. They are from different cultural background, have different faith, language, political belief and sometime part of disadvantaged groups including women and people with disabilities. Also trying to understand what are the challenges to promote greater interaction between different faith communities and why people from different background are living parallel life, what are the structural inequalities within our social/political/economic framework and what are the other challenges of community cohesion at various levels due to global village.
I have been associated and worked with voluntary sector/charities for more than 20 years. I have been the founder member and Secretary of Faiths Forum for East Midlands. I have been associated with Leicester City of Sanctuary since last 5 years, and it has inspired me to develop knowledge of community work and to understand different perceptions and backgrounds.
Other Voluntary work/Membership:
- Secretary and Trustee – Faith Forums for the East Midlands – 2008 to March 2013
- Trustee and Director – One East Midlands – 2009 – 2012
- Trustee and Director – Leicester City of Sanctuary – 2009 to March 2015
- Member – Independent Custody Visitor for Leicestershire – 2008 to March 2015
- Elected Board Member – Local involvement Network – Leicester 2009 – 2012
- Elected Governor – Leicestershire NHS Foundation Trust – May 2013 to March 2015
- Volunteer – Victim Support – May 2013 to March 2014
- Appeal Panel Member – Madani High School Leicester – May 2013 to present
- Member – Immigration Law Practice Association since 2012
Working with the workers, civil right movement, with different faith groups, grass root organisations and human right education has enabled and inspired me to work for a more equal and more just social system.