- Tackling systemic racism
Heather Shawley and James Smalley from VAL’s Voluntary Sector Support team talk about how VAL, the voluntary sector and individuals can have a role in tackling systemic racism in our local communities.
- World Environmental Day – what have we learned in lockdown that we can use in the road to recovery
Helen Oparinde, Development Officer in VAL’s Sector Support team takes time out to consider what the World Environment Day's theme “It’s time for nature” means for the VCSE sector.
- The Benefits and Power of Volunteering
Dave Cliffe, Development Officer in VAL's Voluntary Sector Support team, talks about why volunteering can be so powerful and why anyone should consider volunteering their time.
- Furlough – it’s now part of our everyday vocabulary
Helen Oparinde, Development Officer in VAL’s Voluntary Sector Support team, re-examines the government’s Coronavirus job retention scheme and the relevance in the VCSE’s road to recovery in the second part of her blogs about furlough.
- What are the implications for charities of cancelling or pausing insurance during the Coronavirus lockdown?
Since the UK ‘lockdown’ was announced on 23 March, perhaps the most common question BHIB Charities Insurance have been asked by charities and voluntary organisations is: Can we cancel or pause our insurance cover while we are not operating?
- Mental Health Awareness Week – a local perspective
Helen Oparinde, Development Officer in VAL’s Sector Support team takes time out to recognise mental health awareness week’s theme of kindness.
- Cautious road map – a practical approach for your VCSE organisation
Helen Oparinde, Development Officer in VAL’s Sector Support team, reviews the UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy and looks at how it can be used to plan your VCSE organisational approach over the coming months.
- Do you need to consider insurance for your volunteers during coronavirus?
We asked our insurance partner, BHIB Charities Insurance, to set out some practical guidance to help you to understand some of the insurance issues around managing volunteers.
- Social enterprises – thinking of a career change?
Helen Oparinde, Development Officer in VAL’s Sector Support team, examines the option of setting up a social enterprise as part of your own plans for the recovery phase of COVID-19.